tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 26 09:43:29 1995

Re: That's my name, don't use it up.

According to Lawrence M. Schoen:

> > When I saw Okrand at Stellarcon 17, he began by talking about
> > how certain letter combinations were intentionally difficult. I
> > suggested {rgh}, since smoothly moving between a trill at the
> > tip of the tongue to the growling fricative at the base of the
> > tongue is no small trick...
> >
> > charrrrrrrghwI'
>
> Nope, doesn't seem particularly difficult to me.  Maybe because I eat RRRRufles
> potato chips with all those rrrrridges (as opposed to "smooth" chips).

I have no difficulty with the trilled "r". It's the trilled
{rgh} combo that gets me. Basically, it seems that I need to
get one end of the tongue vibrating and then shift to making
the other end vibrate without any sort of stop occurring
between these two events. The middle keeps wanting to get in on
the act.

> Maybe we'll have a trilling competition at the qep'a'.  16 days and counting

Gee. Not much time to finish my outfit...

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \