tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 14 08:23:50 1995

Re: tlhIngan Hol wIleghjaj

According to Alan Anderson:

> PS: Did I get the subject line right?  I don't have the tapes, but
>     I understand there's something unusual about {-jaj}.
>     I hope I haven't dishonored TOO many generations! :-)

Basically, Okrand, either by intent or error, placed the
subject BEFORE the verb when using {-jaj}. Krankor revealed
this and Okrand covered his butt by claiming that these ancient
blessings/curses must be spoken EXACTLY the way Okrand says it
does, even if it violates current Klingon grammar. Krankor then
did further analysis of Okrand's {-jaj} examples and figured
out the word order when both subject and object exist.

Still, the conclusion is, if you are using one of the classic
statements from the audiotapes, use them exactly as stated
there. If you are making up a new statement using {-jaj}, use
the normal object-verb-subject word order. Otherwise, honorable
Klingons may think you are paradying their precious cultural
traditions and eliminate you, being source of their discomfort.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \