tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 14 04:32:03 1995

Re: What's wrong with "which"?

~mark wrote:
> Are you asking about the well-known problem of how to say "which of"?

Yes, that's the original discussion.  {nuq} comes close, but leaves a lot of
ambiguity.  Does {jIlo' tajmey nuq} mean "what/which knife do I use?" or does
it mean "what [part] of the knives do I use?"  Since "which" implies one of a
limited choice of answers, yoDtargh suggested {*nuqDIch}.  It is completely
non-canon, but it has a certain charm.  Can someone compile a list of things
to take to the qep'a' wish-list/brainstorm session?  I won't be there, and I
think {*nuqDIch} should be considered.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level