tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 09 19:14:39 1995

Re: irrealis

According to Alan Anderson:

> I've been perusing the archives of this list from before I joined it.
> One of the unresolved issues I find is how to indicate the "irrealis"
> or the "subjunctive" or whatever.  For example:
> "If the emperor agreed with me, you would be a dead man."
> {muQochtaHmo' ta' bIHeghbe'}
> "Because the emperor disagrees [continuously] with me, you don't die."
> This implies that you WILL die if the emperor stops disagreeing,
> but it doesn't imply that the emperor is likely to agree the way
> "If the emperor agrees with me, you are a dead man" might.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

majQa'! vIparHa'qu'! This also fits the Klingon cultural bent
well explaining why things are the way they are instead of
dreaming of the way things might otherwise be. The same thought
it conveyed, but from a grounding in the way things are.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \