tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 01 15:09:07 1995

"be proud of"

I had suggested {tlhIngan [cleavage]lIjvaD bIHem}.

charghwI' countered:
> Hmmm. Can we really consider the pride to be beneficial to the
> cleavage? Is the pride intended for the cleavage? I think
> {-mo'} is a much better suffix here.

r'Hul has already said she didn't want to say she was proud BECAUSE OF them.
I was trying to come up with a translation that she would agree with AND is
grammatical.  I agree, being proud for the benefit of a BODY PART is not as
reasonable as I first thought.

But what DOES "be proud of" really mean in English, anyway?  How else could
you say it and mean the exact same thing?  To "be proud because of it" says
that "it" is the cause of your pride, and doesn't indicate anything special
about what "it" is doing.  When I say "I am proud because of you" to my son
I am being selfish and denying him the benefit of my pride.  If I say "I am
proud of you" I am giving him praise.  I think the {'oHvaD Hem} phrase does
justice to the intended meaning of "be proud of it."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level