tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 11:10:11 1995

Re: }}} Klingon paintball

>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 21:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>On Thu, 27 Jul 1995, Chris Nielsen wrote:

>> The "official" Klingon dialect seems to be lacking in quite a few areas,
>> most notably in the areas of human interest, i.e. art, humanities etc,
>> things a Klingon would not find at all interesting, most likely.
>> In the same way as a language such as English has "evolved" when brought
>> into contact with new countries (for instance North America), I
>> therefore propose we form our own dialect.  This seems to be the largest
>> active group of Klingon speakers in the world, so why not a sort of human
>> dialect?

>jIQochchu'.  qabqu' qechlIj 'e' vIHar.   tera'ngan mu'mey luchellu'chugh
>tlhIngan HolHomqoq chenmoHlu'meH vaj tlhIngan Hol 'IH qalmoHlu'.
>HolHomqoqvam Dachuppu'bogh vIghojQo'.  Hol watlh'e' neH jatlhtaHbogh
>tlhInganpu'na' vIHaD vIneH.  tlhIngan Hol wIchoHlaHmeH woQHey nunob 'Iv?

>(Translation for non-Klingon speakers:  I don't think that's a very good
>idea.)

I don't think it's a good idea either.  If we make up our own words and
usages freely, without having them "officially" recognized, how are we
going to grow?  Imagine you're some newcomer, all fired up with excitement
at having bought the Dictionary two days ago, eagerly thumbing it in your
hot little hands... You come on the list, and start furiously deciphering
someone's post.  You come across a word, "'I'" and flip through
dictionary... again and again and again... It's not there!  How are you
supposed to know it means "armpit"?  Granted, new words have been added
that are available only in HolQeD since TKD was published, but they were
added by Okrand, at least.  Who is going to be the language-creator for our
community?  I can guarantee you that no matter whom you choose, *someone*
will have a problem.  And if you're choosing someone, the only person who
is *really* qualified is Okrand anyway!

~mark

Back to archive top level