tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 30 14:49:55 1995

Re: Word for `English'

On Sun, 29 Jan 1995, HoD trI'Qal wrote:
> While I have a lot of respect for those of us who do not speak English as
> a native language, I have to agree with David Sturm.  I have always used
> <tera'ngan Hol> for "Federation Standard" or "English".  Why?  Because
> that is what they speak on the show.  I am not sure on this, but I
> vaguely remember either reading or hearing somewhere that English was
> made the standard language for Earth when the Federation was formed, and
> it later became the standard language for the Federation.  Or something.
> If I am wrong on this, someone please correct me...

Well, it wasn't my idea.  I think I used >DIvI' Hol< in my own materials
when it was needed.  However, I think >tera'ngan Hol< isn't as offensive
as >DIvI'....<.  Maybe >tera' boq qum mon (yoS) Hol< if we invoke the Sec
3.4 TKD mention of "(or more) nouns" to create a 6-noun combination that
translates as "Earth's alliance's government's capital's (area's)
language"--the language of San Francisco....

Actually, I kinda just like >tera' qum Hol<...

As for the other issues.... The computer probably has ensured that
English will supplant most other languages in the way Latin texts once
continued Latin's predominence in church and government.  Of course, I
used to pull for Esperanto, but it probably makes more sense to try to
get some minor reforms in English spelling and live with it.  Oh well.

Back to archive top level