tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 30 14:02:19 1995

Re: Boustrophedon

>Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 11:40:34 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "A.Appleyard" <[email protected]>

>In proper ancient Greek (and early Latin) boustrophedon, in the right-to-left
>lines the individual letters were mirror imaged also, so the right-to-left
>lines were completely like mirror writing. That would make it easier to read.

Really?  I was never sure.  I played forever on TeX trying to get some
macros that could print in boustrophedon; got a whole mess of strange
results (including what looked an awful lot like a bug with TeX).  Found
one "easy" way presumed that the TeX output was going to be PostScript, and
that one mirror-imaged the letters as well.  I thought of that as
"exaggerated boustrophedon."  Cool.

~mark

Back to archive top level