tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 28 11:23:42 1995

Re: Another try at some Klingon...

>> 	bIng juHDaq QongtaHvIS puvlaHbogh Ha'DIbaH mach.

>Below, you explain that you meant "below, in the house", this
>literally means, "In the area below's house". I personally hear
>{-Daq} as "at", keeping in mind that it is a more inclusive
>term than English usually implies, synonymous to "within the
>bounds of the space occupied by". Anyway, I think this is
>perfect for what you want. The rest of your sentence, however
>has no main verb. If you drop the {-vIS}, I think you'll have
>what you want.

	Could you explain why the {-vIS} makes that verb not the main verb?
What I meant to say was "While down below (their home) they were sleeping".
Should I have used an adverbial?

>> 	QongtaH ghaH! QongtaH ghaH!
>> 	Sal Hov wov!

>Beautiful imagery! vIparHa'qu'!

	qatlho'

>> 	ngab retlh yavDaq 'engbogh.

>The last pair of syllables is not a word. A locative, like
>yavDaq, belongs in FRONT of it's verb. 'eng is not a verb,
>despite the suffix. The only visable verb is ngab and I don't
>see how any of this is supposed to tie together.

>I was really getting into this, and now, I've lost something
>crucial.

	How does this work?

	yavDaq retlh 'oHbogh 'eng'e' 'e' ngab

	Is that grammatically correct? How does it fit in with the rest?

>> ...What about retlh yavDaq 'engbogh for 'clouds which are next to
>> the ground'? Does that approximate 'fog'? Is there a better way to say fog?

>That REALLY does not work for fog. You can't put a verb suffix
>on a noun like that. You needed a verb here. Perhaps:

>ngab yav So'bogh 'eng'e'.

>>  	po QaQ! po QaQ jatlh puvlaHbogh Ha'DIbaH mach.

>Kill it quickly! It's a flying tribble!

	<smile>

>> 	I think I have begun to get a grasp of aspect. Does -laH and -lI' turn
>> a verb into a 'am verb-ing' structure? For example jIQong is I sleep, jIQongtaH
>> is I am sleeping, right?

	Is this correct? Does that make -pu' and -ta' a 'were verb-ing'
structure?

					achghuQ

Back to archive top level