tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 09:19:47 1995

Re: Word for `English'

> >The problem with that is it means the Terran's language....which one?

> As long as we're asking for clarification ... Which form of English?
> Australian English, Brittish English or American English? IMHO I vote for
> {tera'ngan Hol} as well, but then, who am I *shrug*?

{tera'ngan Hol} = "Earth language": valid if there is one sole or very
dominant language on Earth, as there may be by the time Earth technology has
advanced far enough for the Star Trek events or equivalents thereof to happen;
but now the term is not really valid. {Ingland Hol}; or {tera' Ingland Hol} if
there is a need to specify that English is an Earth language; {(tera') IndIa'
Ingland Hol} = English as spoken in India, as distinct from {IndIa' Hol(mey)}
= the native language(s) of India.

Someone pointed out that {DIvI'} = "federation" as well as "organization" in
TKD. Indeed so: with a lowercase `f', i.e. a generic, not a proper name. In
some contexts it may be obvious that the Federation of Planets is meant; but
there are other federations and organizations which may be variously involved
at any given time, to need to distinguish between. What is the full proper
name of THE Federation as in Star Trek stories?

Back to archive top level