tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 20 14:21:55 1995

Re: tlhIj

According to Alan Anderson:

> Dr. Schoen, qajatlhneS.
> qatlhIjneS "Klinzhai"-lIj ngeblaw' 'e' vIbuvmo'.

Okay, you asked me to suggest changes... You were very
ambitious and reached a little beyond your grasp. Remember that
a sentence as object construction is really two separate
sentences in Klingon. Here {'e' vIbuvmo'} is supposed to be its
own sentence, but the {-mo'} makes the verb dependent. Looking
closer, I see that you intended it to attach to {qatlhIjneS},
which is otherwise dangling out there alone as a separate
sentence. Also, you need to reverse the word order if you want
"Klinzhai" to be the subject of {ngeb}.

To grammatically correct this:

ngeblaw' "Klinzhai"lIj 'e' vIbuvmo' qatlhIjneS.

Then we have to deal with semantics. Does {buv} really work
here? "I apologize to you because I classify that your
"Klinzhai" is apparently a fake." Hmmm. Maybe its okay, but you
might look around for a less awkward verb.

> reH "shareware" vIDIlpu' vIlo'chugh.

As a picky note, since you probably use shareware to check it
out before you pay for it, you might want to drop the {-pu'},
since it suggests that you have already paid for it if you have
used it. Meanwhile, this is a fine sentence.

> wa'ben 'oH vISuq "CD-ROM"-vo'. <<wa'SaD pIqaDmej>> ponglu'.

I'd highly recommend placing {"CD-ROM"vo'} before the object of
the main verb. As for the use of {pong}, I make a policy of not
claiming to know how to use it correctly. Okrand needs to clear
this up.

> "Klinzhai" vIHo' 'ach vIlo'be'.

Fine.

> tlhIngan jIHbe'bej jIDochbe'law'mo'.

As a matter of style, I prefer to place verbs with {-mo'}
before the object of the main verb. TKD does not come out and
say so, but it DOES say that NOUNS with {-mo'} must be placed
there, and the noun and verb suffix are closely related, since
they mean the same thing and sound the same. It fits the sense
of setting up the environment before stating the main action,
which is the global pattern of most Klingon sentences.

> ghunchu'wI' pong'egh.

Well, verbs with {-'egh} can't have an object until Okrand
explains rules he has not yet revealed. Then again, he has not
explained the verb {pong} yet, either, since it generally needs
two objects, and we don't know how to do that in Klingon.

> (charghwI' choHmey Dachupjaj.)

bIQuch'a'?

> This is my first attempt at writing tlhIngan Hol.
> I'd appreciate feedback.

Not bad, especially considering the complexity of your attempts.

> Alan Anderson                    Delco Electronics
> -.-. --.-       Service Test Equipment Engineering
> .-- -... ----. .-. ..- ..-.  System Software Group

charghwI'
--

 \___