tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 20 04:58:35 1995

Re: easy sentences

> > (I don't know what you mean by "time stamp")

now I do, thanks.

> > mu'tlhegh ngeDlaw' DIja'chuqmo' matay'taHvIS jIQuchqu'neS.
> > (Doesn't make much sense I suspect)
>
> Well, I understand it, though it does have a couple
> controversial points. First, I could be wrong, but I don't
> think we can use verbal suffixes other than {-qu'} and {-be'}
> on verbs being used adjectivally. TKD only says {-qu'} can be
> used and we fought about this for a long time. People wanted to
> be able to use {-be'} as well.
>
> Then on the Conversational Klingon audio tape (often called CK
> for short), Okrand referred to ten useless tribbles: wa'maH
> yIHmey lI'be'.
>
> Meanwhile, if you could use any verbal suffix you wanted on
> verbs used adjectivally, then Klingon sentences could EASILY
> become illegible.

I have to apologize here. I took this liberty only because
I (once again) misread TKD. I checked and have to agree that
it allows only -qu'. I'm glad -be' is allowed, though }}8-}

> Your second problem is that the rules about verbs with {-chuq}
> conflict with our desire to use ja'chuq as a transitive verb
> "discuss". This is on most people's short list of points we
> want Okrand to clarify.

Ha! That only happened because I looked up "discuss" and
didn't realize it was derived (or could be derived) from
ja'. So I didn't think of -chuq as a suffix. However with
that knowledge I'd have to agree, ja'-chuq is not transitive.
Bad luck!

Maybe:
qay'Ha'moHmeH ngeDlaw'bogh mu'tlhegh maja'chuqmo' matay'taHvIS
jIQuchqu'neS

(This really looks weird!)

> In other words, your sentence MAY be PERFECT, but on those two
> points, we have not confirmed that your constructions are legal.

And I now don't think they are. Thanks for pointing these
out to me.

> charghwI'
> --

			Marc 'Doychlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany