tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 18 13:36:34 1995

Re: "Klinzhai" font / Worf

Alan Anderson had written, in part:
> ... It's obviously apocryphal, since one of the characters is for the
> sound of the letter F. There's no q/Q distinction...

I wouldn't be too hasty to call Klinzhai apocryphal. In TKD's foreward,
Okrand mentions that the favored Klingon dialect can change depending on
who's in power in council. Klinzhai may be viewed as a dialect now out of
favor. Worf might have been named using this or some other dialect, rather
than the "favored" tlh-H dialect. His parents might have named him thusly
for any of anumber of reasons: as an affront to council, to declare their
independence from it, because of their cultural heritage, etc.

...'ej vaj tlhetlh
Roger Sorensen                                 "...and so it goes."
St. John's University Computing Services         -- Linda Ellerbee
Collegeville MN 56321-2000

[email protected]      v:612-363-2035     f:612-363-2761