tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 04 08:09:02 1995

Re: Learning Klingon in the North of Sweden

According to Craig Kraft:

> At 07:05 PM 1/3/95 -0500, JOHAN BERGLUND wrote:
> >Hello,
> >We are a bunch (about 10) of persons who are intrested in learning
> >klingon. We have some questions:
> >
> >* How difficult is it to learn?

If you recognize that it was created to be intentionally alien,
thereby being somewhat disjointed from linguistic patterns
typical to most languages, it is not THAT difficult. Just begin
with simple things and build to complex constructions and you
should do fine. Many beginners leap to the most complex
constructions they can imagine or start out trying to write
poetry first thing, resulting in very little practice getting
down basic Klingon skills. If you can avoid that temptation,
you will probably learn faster, with a stronger foundation.

> >* How can we get books or something like that?

The publisher for all of Marc Okrand's Klingon related works is
Pocket Books, a subdivision of Simon and Schuster. In addition
to The Klingon Dictionary (often referred to here as TKD),
there are two audio tapes:

Conversational Klingon
Power Klingon.

Both are published by Pocket Books. If you cannot order them
locally, Dr. Lawrence Schoen, who participates actively on this
list, can get you as many copies of all three as you want. In
particular, he has an inventory he can ONLY sell to those who
do NOT live in the USA. His Email address is [email protected].

> >* Which books are good to start with?

Definitely begin with TKD and the audio tapes. The tapes are
also very entertaining, so that can help keep your interest up,
and they are the best source for help with pronunciation.
Additionally, David Barron, who also participates in this list
([email protected] offers a free postal course. Basically, if
you mail him an envelope with your address and sufficient
postage on it to get back to you, he will send you lessons that
he has made up on his own and offer to grade your work as you
progress.

> >* Is there anyone in Sweden who speak Klingon?
> >* How can we be members of the KLI?

Dr. Lawrence Schoen (mentioned above) can take care of that.

> >We would be very grateful if someone out there in CyberSpace could
> >help us! Thanx!
>
> The Klingon Dictionary is an excellent resource as well as the audio tapes and
> a visit to the Klingon Language Institute (hhtp://www.kli.org) will also
> provide more resources to you in your quest.

This is an excellent suggestion. While you are at it, if you
are interested, there is also a MUSH (Multi-User Shared
Hallucination - an online meeting place) if you telnet to
mush.kli.org 2218 and there is an FTP site there (ftp.kli.org).

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \