tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 01 07:48:11 1995

Re: KLBC: jImIStaH

According to Lisa Stapp:

> > tlhIngan Hol vIghojchugh vaj jItaQbej Qub
>
> Tl> You probably want the pronoun {'e'} before {Qub}, since it is
> Tl> not a verb of speaking.
>
> ??? What's a verb of speaking???
> jImIS

Verbs of speaking: jatlh, ja', jang, ghItlh, etc. Anything
which means, "he said, she replied, they queried," etc. If you
are writing a quotation using one of these verbs, the sentence
you are saying that they said does not need to be represented
by the pronoun {'e'}.

In other words, you have used a sentence as object construction
here. "If I learn Klingon language, then they think that I am
definitely weird." Look at "they think that". The "that" is the
pronoun {'e'} and it represents the sentence which, in English,
follows the "that" and in Klingon preceeds the {'e'}.

Clear as mud, right?

Anyway, if you say, "They think that I am definitely weird,"
then you need {'e'} in the Klingon. If the verb had been a verb
of speaking, like "said" or {jatlh}, then you would not need
the {'e'}. It would be a direct quote, instead. Just replace
the verb and you get {tlhIngan Hol vIghojchugh vaj jItaQbej
jatlh}, which means, amusingly enough, "If I learn Klingon
language, then they say, 'I am definitely weird," and since it
is a direct quote, they are saying it of themselves instead of
you.

And they are probably quite right. Weirdness finds its way into
everyone's lives. Praise be to those who choose their
weirdnesses harmlessly.

> .. Live your life as an exclamation, not an explanation !

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \