tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 28 07:43:33 1995

Re: From the Edge of the Galaxy

At 06:04 AM 2/28/95 -0500, Round Table Account wrote:

>> On Mon, 27 Feb 1995, Matt Gomes wrote:
>> (about Glen's financing of the camps...)
>> > I can't believe that Glen got 14 people to buy into this!  Paying for
Glen's
>> > loans to the city?  I guess P.T. Barnum was right!
>> >
>> > -majIq
>>

>As for Glen's (indirect) posts to this list, well, I'm of mixed
>opinions.  I continue to try to be supportive of most everything that
>promotes the Klingon language.  The last issue of HolQeD ran a review of
>the first of Glen's primers, and we provided free advertisement and
>ontice of his 1994 camp in several issues last year.  At the same time
>though, it's no secret that Glen and I continue to mix like oil and
>water.  I find his shameless hucksterism (seats on the High Council
>indeed!) to be both embarassing and offensive.

You appearantly are not the only one to notice this.
I was contancted by a high ranking KAG member last night to help translate a few
things for him and the subject turned to G.P. and RLF. His commment was it
seemed
that Glen's involvement in KAG was appearantly motivated by (Ferengi) profit.
While apprecitating Glen for his sopport of Klingons my friend felt
Glen's motives demanded some suspicion.

>On the other hand, I too
>am quick to ask for the financial support of the membership of the KLI to
>keep us running, and perhaps the difference between these two is only one
>of degree, not of kind.

But, Lawrence, I have to support you because YOUR motives have always held
the true
ring of altruism (as opposed to profit). I have never, at any point in our
dealings,
felt that your higher motives were money or fame (though, granted, they are a
lesser motive).

>I'm also annoyed at Glen's manipulation of the
>fan community and fan tradition, particularly as Glen has expressed to me
>that he had no familiarity or interest in Star Trek (let alone Klingons)
>prior to learning of Okrand's work with the language.

Ditto on that last point.

         David Barron  [email protected]  OR   [email protected]
                         Klingon Language Postal Course
                            PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
                 IT'S FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
                       Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

Back to archive top level