tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 28 06:43:47 1995

Re: From the Edge of the Galaxy

Round Table Account writes:

 > The really big loser here, in my opinion, is Red Lake Falls.  They let a
 > good thing slip away from them.  I don't know whether this was because of
 > Glen's stubborness or simply cold feet on the part of the city council,
 > but surely the amount of national media coverage the 1993 camp received
 > should have been more than worth the money Glen asked for.

A note or two.  While I've been Glen's mouthpiece (jatlhwI'?) due to
his remoteness and/or discomfort using computers, I'm a fairly neutral
party, mainly passing on things he sends me as I can (we *ARE* in the
same state, and I have taken his Community Ed. classes in St. Paul).

As coincidence and synchronicity would have it, a fellow Trekker at my
workplace just happens to come from... Red Lake Falls, and I've
occasionally garnered a bit or two of information from him regarding
the ILS versus RLF situation.  The amount of the loan, as I understand
it is $3000 - a fair amount, perhaps, but rather small compared to the
volume of exposure RLF has received.  I'd bet that any small town
wanting to be advertised from the Wall Street Journal to the BBC would
happily SPEND (not loan) more.  But thats the problem - I gather Red
Lake Falls is more of a real life version of Garrison Keillor's Lake
Woebegone.  My friend says they (or a vocal group of them) don't
really LIKE being seen in eyes of the world as the Klingon Kapital,
and Glen has suffered for this.

[Of course, things *probably* weren't helped when he made his payment
last October 31st with a fully outfitted tlhIngan contingent,
including one Canadian tlhInganist loudly denouncing the town in
tlhIngan Hol, flanked by a TV crew.....]

     [email protected] | Apertus Technologies | GEnie:j.anderson71
       *mIghtaHghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ! roj yInej 'ej  yItlha'*

Back to archive top level