tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 24 08:47:06 1995

Re: Relative clauses

>Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 00:17:43 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>[...]
>> A side note: if -'e' is topic, then we may even be dealing with things like
>> {jIH'e' jIlujpu'}. Just a thought.

>It's interesting you should mention that example.  On p. 29 of TKD, we
>have {lujpu' jIH'e'}.  Can someone tell me why the verb {luj} in this
>example uses the null third-person verb prefix?

Oooowwwch!  No, I can't.  I never noticed that before.  At the moment I
think I'm going to have to cop out and say it's either clipped or a
mistake.  Yow.  That's a strange one.  I think it can be said to be
clipping, since we also have "?lujpu' jIH" without the -'e', which we know
really should have "jI-".

>> Guido

>yoDtargh

~mark