tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 21 15:02:28 1995

Re: KLBC: scrub your forehead!

>Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 01:28:17 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: tsai kat clio-international <[email protected]>

>yIlughmoH!

>This is an attempt to give a possible Klingon equivalent for
>"Wash thoroughly behind your ears!"  I am trying to express a
>quotation.

>puqbe'DajvaD QuchlIj yISaymoHchu' 'e' jatlh SoS.

>(The mother said to her daughter, "Clean your forehead very well.")

You don't use "'e'" with verbs of speech (see Section 6.2.5, page 67).
Otherwise it seems okay, except that putting the "puqbe'DajvaD" before the
quote and the "jatlh SoS" after makes it tough to read (hard to tell what
the "puqbe'DajvaD" belongs to: the quoted sentence or the main one).  Note,
though, that if 'e' were correct, the "puqbe'DajvaD" would still have come
*after* the quoted sentence, and *before* the 'e', since 'e' would be the
object of the main clause (For a strained example: I remember for the
captain that the officer hit the child: puq qIp yaS HoDvaD 'e' vIqaw).
Also consider using "ra'" instead of "jatlh".  Just because we use "say"
alot in English doesn't mean another language should be skittish about
saying "ordered".

~mark

Back to archive top level