tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 13 08:12:34 1995

Re: "Bon appetit"

:
: According to R.B Franklin:
: >
: >
: > On Sat, 11 Feb 1995, Jeremy Cowan wrote:
: >
: > > Almost every natural language I have studied uses the second person plural
: > > for the second person singular formal.  It seems a popular thing to do.
: > > And what makes you say that DIvI' Hol doesn't use it.  When (in English) I
: > > want a second person singular formal I certainly use the pronoun for
: > > second person plural.  :)
: >
: > What kind of second person plural pronoun do you use to address a single
: > person formally?  Y'all?  Youse guys?  Or are you using "thou" for the
: > second person singular and "you" for the plural?  {{:-)
:

Just to be off the "tlhIngan Hol" subject...

I was always under the impression that "thee/thou/thine" are all INFORMAL... I
believe people think that using an unfamiliar term MUST be formal, but, "you"
is formal and "thee" is informal...

Just trying to be contrary... (no I'm not...)

majIq

Back to archive top level