tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 11 20:35:13 1995

Re: "Bon appetit"

On Sat, 11 Feb 1995, Jeremy Cowan wrote:

> Almost every natural language I have studied uses the second person plural
> for the second person singular formal.  It seems a popular thing to do.
> And what makes you say that DIvI' Hol doesn't use it.  When (in English) I
> want a second person singular formal I certainly use the pronoun for
> second person plural.  :)

What kind of second person plural pronoun do you use to address a single
person formally?  Y'all?  Youse guys?  Or are you using "thou" for the
second person singular and "you" for the plural?  {{:-)

> Does someone have a grammar explanation for this apparent mistake?

I can usually identify yankees^H^H^H^H^H^H^H people from the
Northern U.S. when they try to mimic Southern speech and incorrectly use
"y'all" for addressing a single person.  To my ears, such usage sounds
unnatural and quite affected.

> janSIy  }}:+D>

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level