tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 06 06:58:03 1995

Re: grip, grasp, hold

According to David Barron:

> > > I am trying to find a way to say "grip, grasp, hold" in klingon  meaning to
> > > have in your hands.

Unfortunately, this is still monsterously ambiguous. When I am
rock climbing, I have the hand-holds in my hand. I am gripping,
grasping and holding (anchoring). When I pick up a pencil, I'm
gripping, grasping and holding (manipulating). When I'm on
belay, I hold the rope (using). When a kid throws a tantrum, I
might hold him (limit).

> > If that's what you mean, then that's what you should say!
> > {<<ghopDu'Daq ghaj>> 'e' DajatlhnIsba'. peQochbe''a'?}
>
> hmm...that seems to do it ,now how would I say "the prisoner grabbed the
> knife by the blade."
>  taj HeH ghaj qama ghopDaq.

Why bother with the locative? taj HeH ghaj qama ghop. The
prisoner's hand posesses the knife's edge. If you use the
locative, it should come at the beginning of the sentence,
before the object. ghopDajDaq taj HeH ghaj qama. I prefer the
earlier, locative-free version.

> > -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'
--