tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 01 14:28:55 1995

Re: Word for `English'

Lawrencevo':

> > > Uhoh, David, your nationalism is showing.  ;)
> > >
> > > Lawrence
> >

> > While I have a lot of respect for those of us who do not speak English as
> > a native language, I have to agree with David Sturm.  I have always used
> > <tera'ngan Hol> for "Federation Standard" or "English".  Why?  Because
> > that is what they speak on the show.  I am not sure on this, but I
> > vaguely remember either reading or hearing somewhere that English was
> > made the standard language for Earth when the Federation was formed, and
> > it later became the standard language for the Federation.  Or something.
> > If I am wrong on this, someone please correct me...
> >
> > --tQ
> >
> This is yet another example of ethnocentricism, or so I believe.  Perhaps
> some of the list members residing outside the USA or the UK can verify
> this, but I believe that Star Trek is dubbed into other languages (e.g.,
> German in Germany), so the argument that "that is what they speak on the
> show" is empty.
>
> But while I'm thinking about it again, what I want to know is, when they
> dub the Federation Standard (originally English at the studios), do they
> also dub the Klingon?  Before you ask "what would be the point?" consider
> episodes where we have a character speaking both English and Klingon.
> They have to dub the English to the local audience's languaage. Do they
> dub the Klingon so the actor's voice matchs?  Anyone know?

I have seen ST:V on a German satellite channel, and the Klingon is also
dubbed :( into German. As for the accuracy of the dudding, it wasn't
brilliant.

How about: yuQjIjDIvI' Hol - the language of the UFP.

Qapla'

-- toDbaj
            http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~u06rmm/

Back to archive top level