tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 18 11:27:23 1995

Re: yIn/Qong

>Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:19:58 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>peHruS wrote:
>>
>>I have been thinking long and hard and now it is time to post.  {yIn}
>appears
>>to ME to mean "be alive, live."  I prefer the Hebrew concept of "lodging in
>>place" to mean "one lives at the place."
>I'm not certain I understand you. I assume you're talking about the
>difference between "l'chyot" which would be yIn, and "lagur" which you would
>use for Qong, but I think "lagur" has more the sense of belonging/becoming
>part of a community, which is why "l'gayer" of the same root means to
>convert. For lodging in a place, I'd use "laloon," which means exactly what
>Qong does. Of course, "la'loon" doesn't have the sense of permanency that's
>sought in the original sentence (see Genesis 28:11 for a good example of the
>Hebrew's sense).

Yes... lagur is to dwell, and lichyot is to live, and lalun is to
sleep/spend the night.  I don't see that "Qong" has the permanence of
dwelling, at best it's spending the night.  I can sleep in a hotel, but I
don't live there.

>If we could find a Klingon word for the idea of becoming part of the
>community through residence therein, it would more closely approximate the
>Hebew "lagur," which I agree is a better concept than to "live" or to
>"lodge" in a place.

Indeed.  But we have no evidence that Klingon necessarily divides up the
concepts any differently than English does.  Why is it so impossible that
Klingon conflates "to dwell"/lagur with "to live"/lichyot?  It's not like
other languages don't do it.  English does the same thing!  The only
"evidence" we have that Klingons don't use "yIn" for "dwell" is that peHruS
doesn't like it.  That is not sufficient evidence for me.  If we had a verb
that worked better than "Qong" I might agree, since I'd like to see that
distinction drawn as well... but I'm not about to expand "Qong" just
because it might be cool if Klingon worked like Hebrew.  Absent evidence to
the contrary, I'm willing to support "yIn" for "to dwell."  Thus, I would
say "*New Jersey*Daq jIyIn" and leave it at that.

~mark

Back to archive top level