tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 11:18:55 1995

Re: KLBC: Win 95 "Klingon-ized"

In a message dated 95-12-15 00:12:34 EST, yoDtargh writes:

SI'nIp

>To use your phrasing, I'd say "*DaqDaq SoHtaHbogh
>> vISovbe'", with the asterisk because I'm trying to make the -Daq-tagged
>> word the head-noun of the relative clause, which I believe is not legal.

{Daq} alone means "site, location" (n).  The Type 5 Noun Suffix construction
appears to be somewhat like the Noun-Noun construction, i.e., {DujDaq} means
"the site of the ship," thus, "on the ship."  I do not feel comfortable with
saying "the location of the site," even though many of the engineers for whom
I write do just that.  I submit a rephrashing of your sentence above to:
 {SoHtaHbogh Daqvetlh vISovbe'}.

Also, I apologize for my ignorance regarding MO's retraction of TKD p172's
{jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'}, which I then used to make the paraphrase
{SoHtaHbogh pa' vISovbe'}.

peHruS

Back to archive top level