tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 20:40:46 1995

[What, me worry?]

[email protected] (Alan Anderson) ghitlhwI'

>David Wood writes:
>>...The TKD doesn't have words for "to fear," "to worry," or "to be afraid."

> Try the verb {Haj} "dread".  The verb suffix {-vIp} indicates fear also.
> There's also the noun {rejmorgh} "worrywort".  We have many tools!

     The -vip suffix modifies another verb, so it's very hard to use by itself.
     Or IS it? There's no standalone word {vIp} in the dictionary, so it COULD
be argued, however weakly, that {vIp} could be made a word by itself. But I
digress.

     I did finally come up with something else for "What, me worry?" It's
longer, but it rolls trippingly (or is that trips rollingly?) off the tongue:

     rejmorgh SaHlaHbe'(bej)    The worryworts (definitely) couldn't care.

     Joe Steger's was indeed the simplest it could be, and for that reason I
considered not posting this. I AM posting this becuase I wanted to stick the
adverb for "even" in mine somewhere (as in "even cowgirls get the blues," or
"even barbarians like chocolate chip cookies," or the "not even a mouse" from "A
Visit From St. Nick"), but I couldn't find a reasonable substitute.
     What would the Klingon equivalent of the "even" construction be, or did the
{bej} in there pick it up?

     ngaSwi' gharghmey chu' jIpoSmoH. wejpuH.

If I had a swordfish, I'd share it with you./ David Wood has opinions,
But this is a halibut and IT'S ALL MINE!   / but very few people care.
And ask me about THE ONE-ARMED PAPER HANGERS and PORT ROYAL! May31-Jn2

Back to archive top level