tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 04:53:14 1995

Re: KLBC: Win 95 "Klingon-ized"

~mark writes:
>I agree with your translation of "pa'", but not with your use...
>Why use "pa'" I don't know,
>but in any case you're asking about the "place" (or the "there") *IN* which
>you are.  You're making the head-noun of the relative clause not the
>subject of the clause (which is SoH), not the object of the clause (if it
>were, it would imply that you WERE a place, not that you were AT it), but
>the locative of the clause.

peHruS again:
>I'm going a step further on this one:  In the Appendix of TKD there is a list
>of useful expressions.  I have paraphrased the very first one on p172:
> {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'}.

That expression itself doesn't parse very well.  There has been some debate
over whether Okrand botched it!  In any case, it's sufficiently strange that
I advise you not to emulate it.  It might actually be an example of {-bogh}
meaning "where" (as TKD 6.2.3 hints), but I won't argue that very strongly.