tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 10:12:04 1995

Re: Secret Santa

>Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 18:12:43 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>tlheghmeQ writes:
>>nobwI'lI' pegh jIH

>"I am your giver's secret."  It's not quite what you want.
>{pegh} "keep something secret" is not a stative verb, and
>cannot be used like an adjective.  I don't see an easy or
>simple way to express this using {pegh}.  In order to get
>across the idea succinctly, I must rephrase it:

Not necessarily.  "pegh" is also a verb, meaning "to keep a secret", and
apparently also a stative verb, meaning "to be secret".  We have canon for
this, in the secrecy proverb "De' pegh Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'".

~mark

Back to archive top level