tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 25 00:26:35 1995

Re: }} Dancing. was Re: Klin to Bermuda

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> Yow; I didn't think I was being that forceful (I just said I "tend to
> view..." geez...) :).  It may be that I take my N-N constructions even more
> broadly than most (maybe more broadly than I should), and manage to accept
> "word-string" and "bloodworm" and "transporter-room" as not very different
> from "string of words" and "worm of blood" and "room of the transport
> beam".

I've always seen the distinction between a compound word and a N-N
construction to be one of classification.  The compound word would refer
to a specific type and a N-N construction would refer to something more
general.  It's like the difference between saying "a greenhouse" and "a
green house".

Examples:
tIjwI'ghom 	a boarding party, a group organized to board a vessel, a
		particular military task group
tIjwI' ghom	a group of boarders, a group which happens to be boarding
		a vessel, might be used for passengers embarking on a flight

romuluSngan	a Romulan, refers to a specific race
romuluS ngan	an inhabitant of Romulus, could refer to any person or
		life-form living on Romulus

tepqengwI'	a cargo carrier, a specific type of vehicle
tep qengwI'	a carrier of cargo, someone or something which happens to
		be hauling cargo

tlhIlHal	a mine
tlhIl Hal	a source of minerals (a nutritious food or a vitamin tablet?)
		{{;-)

> ~mark

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level