tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 21 06:34:25 1995

}} Trip Report #1

Savan, SuvwI'pu' quv! Do'Ha', jabbI'IDvam vI'oghtaHvIS, DIvI' Hol vIlo',
nom vIqonnIsmo', 'ach laDwI'pu' Hoch vIyajlaHmoH vIneHmoHmo' je.

I'm having a great whirlwind tour of it all. Klingon-related highlights
include:

* Missing Ken Beesley by *that* much. I was up at Grenoble to visit my
friend Rosie Jones, who's doing an internship in Grenoble (in fact, I believe
she'll have already finished by now, and will be in Carnegie-Mellon fairly
soon.) All unbeknownst to me, Ken, the Onlie Begetter of Klingon phonotactics,
works at the same lab (Xerox) --- and, Do'Ha'qu' 'ej QeHmoHqu', he was
away on holidays, so I missed seeing him. Ken, I am told you've exceeded
your holiday quota :-) , and this is kinda late notice (I wasn't
able to log on back home until today), but is there any way you can make
it up to Glasgow for the Friday and/or weekend? At any rate, I have a photo
including (a) my KLI membership card, (b) Ken's KLI membership card, (c) me,
and (d) Ken's printout of an older version of the Hamlet III 1 soliloquy.
As soon as I get my prints copied, you'll be getting a copy, Ken.

* Hobnobbing with Bernie Comrie. Bernie Comrie is a great linguist of our
time (see http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~nsn/Play/linguists.html for more
information.) He is also somewhat Klingon-minded. In fact, his talk
at the Historical Linguistics Conference I attended was on the diversity
of numerical systems in language, and he gave two examples of ternary
systems. One was Yunan, which I think is spoken in Mexico (some correct me.)
No prizes for guessing which the other one was.

It was exceedingly cute to chat with him about Klingon relativisation.
Readers may not be aware that the relativisation accessibility hierarchy
I've been arguing for for Klingon on the list is one of Bernie's major
works; imagine his surprise when he came across Mark's casual mention of it
in HolQeD! The interpretation we made of the applicability of the
hierarchy to Klingon was interesting; he joked that it was a nice argument
for the genetic affinity of Klingons and Humans, whereupon I (much more
seriously than perhaps he may have expected!) replied that the hierarchy
was clearly a cognitive effect, and would therefore be expected of any
intelligent species, independent of genetics. Bernie just smiled. He did
a lot of that when I was around, actually...

* Playing telephone tag with Chris Atherton. When I finally caught up with
her, I was delighted to hear her tlhmey and Qmey done so well; she will make
an excellent K'Ehleyr.

* Having a pint and a Double Whopper burger with Niall Hoskins in Glasgow.
(I was going Bradford-Edinburgh; I was meant to change at Glasgow, so
instead of changing I rang Niall up. I also rang Chris, but she was down
in Edinburgh.) Niall is a true Klingon scholar, and I can see I'm going to
get along with him famously when I get to Glasgow. (Btw, when www.kli.org
comes back up, the photographic evidence of all this will be circulated
far and wide.)

That'll have to do for now; I've got loads of email to catch up on. Expect
a full blow-by-blow account from Glasgow. lengwIj vItIvqu', 'ej tutlhej
Hochra' vIneH! Savan 'ej Satoy'.

--
A Frenchman once observed to me:       Nick Nicholas.
On the edge of the Rubicon             Linguistics, University of Melbourne.

Back to archive top level