tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 11 00:26:15 1995

Re: }} Time & distance

peHruS whines:
>And, I am still experiencing a severe drought of words for liquid and dry
>measures.

There are plenty of words in both the "SI" and "Imperial" systems.  Volume
is probably best measured using the SI unit of {*lIytur}.

I'm serious.  We use language in order to communicate; if I want to
indicate how much gasoline my motorcycle needs when traveling from Boston
to St. Louis, I will use terms which I expect people to recognize.

~Boston-vo' ~St.Louis-Daq lengmeH cha' gho ghajbogh DujHomwIj'e' nIn wej
~gallon neH poQ DujHomwIj.  QaQ'a'?

 -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level