tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 10 11:28:29 1995

Re: }} Re: vItlho' tlhIH!

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 08:45:33 MST

>{vItlho' tlhIH!}

>I had meant to say "thank you", "I thank (all of) you", etc., but I
>see that I have quite a long way to go...  Besides, how many
>Klingons say thank you?  {}}:(

Hee.  That's another question.

For "I thank you [all]", you have to consider the sentence as a whole.
Klingon verbs take prefixes depending on both the subject AND the object.
The verb here, the action, is "tlho'"/thank.  You're saying "I" thank
"you(plural)".  Look up in the table for the prefix which means "I" for
subject and "You(plural)" for object.  That's "Sa-".  So the verb has to be
"Satlho'".  That's all you really need to say; you don't have to state the
pronouns explicitly, since they're implied in the prefix.  If you *do* want
to state them, make sure they go in the right order.  Since "tlhIH" is the
object, in Klingon, the object precedes theverb.  So it would be "tlhIH
Satlho'" (I thank *YOU*).  If you wanted to emphasize yourself, the
pronound for "I" (jIH) would follow the verb, where Klingon subjects
normally go.  Get it?

>Kevin

~mark

Back to archive top level