tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 10 02:04:57 1995

Re: }} {-wI'} on sentences (more)

>To me, <tlhob> wants the
>"sentence as object" construction using <'e'> or a simple
>statement construction. <tlhob> simply doesn't carry the strength
>of a command.

The problem appears to be to use or not to use <'e'> to connect two phrases.
 TKD p65, 6.2.5 "Sentences As Objects" states that <'e'> is used primarily
with verbs of thinking or observation (such as know or see).  Ample
discussion in HolQed, on this listserv, etc. has made it clear to me that
Sentence One 'e' Sentence Two is:  Sentence One stands alone; Sentence Two
refers to "that" (i.e., <'e'>).  Thus, yaS qIp puq 'e' vIlegh is The child
hit the officer; I see that.  This in English is commonly simply I see that
the child hit the officer.  We are even tempted to shorten this to I see the
child hit the officer.

Finally, TKD p67 states:  ...with verbs of saying (say, tell, ask, etc.),
<'e'> and <net> are not used.  The two phrases simply follow each other, IN
EITHER ORDER!!!

In conclusion, then, I cannot accept <Sentence One 'e' tlhob Subject> but
must stick with <Sentence One tlhob Subject>.

peHruS

Back to archive top level