tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 15:12:43 1995

Re: }} {-wI'} on sentences

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >From: [email protected]
> >Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 16:00:34 -0400
>
> >ghunchu'wI' juqaD:
> >> Is {-wI'} on a complete sentence really as bad as you make it
> >> out to be? I hope to hear from others regarding this.
>
> I don't know if I can weigh in on this and give a clear
> ruling...
>
> So is "N V-wI'" a noun-noun construction, or "-wI'" attached to a sentence?
> I don't know that I can say...
>
> It may depend on the situation.  Perhaps some N V-wI' constructions are
> very entrenched and would never take an adverb inside them (like Hergh
> QaywI'),...

> ~mark

Okay. Take {Hergh QaywI'}. By my perspective, it is a noun-noun
construction referring to "medicine's transferer" or
"transferer of medicine". By ghunchu'wI' perspective, it means,
"thing that transfers medicine". So what do you call medicine
that is specifically formulated to be applied with a hypo? By
my perspective, it would be {QaywI' Hergh}. That would mean
"transferer's medicine" or "medicine of the transferer".

By ghunchu'wI's theoryqoq, there would be no way to say {QaywI'
Hergh}. He rejects noun-noun in this setting. That's the whole
reason he created this fictitious grammar in the first place,
so if he doesn't allow noun-noun, if the structure doesn't
yield the potential of a sentence converted into a noun, I
suppose he suggests it is invalid.

Just because the word order of a N VwI' pair of words happens
to coincide with what might be misinterpreted to be [O V]wI' is
no reason to presume that this is the grammatical structure
actually being used here.

There is no evidence in TKD that ClausewI' exists. There is
lots of evidence that noun verbwI' exists as a noun-noun
construction.

Pardon my gruffness while addressing one I respect and consider
to be my linguistic superior. It's just that every time I look
at this, it becomes all the more obvious that I'm right. Were
we on a field of honor with a similar disagreement, I would
grab you by the shoulders and shake you, yelling, yIvemchoHneS!
It's one of those things that makes more sense in Klingon than
it would in English, without awkward rewording.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \