tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 13:22:47 1995

Re: Re[2]: }} Clarification on interpersonal stuff

According to [email protected]:

> Help!  I'm having problems translating this.
>
> On 8 Aug 1995 [email protected] wrote:
>
> >charghwI' qatlho'.  SoH qavuvqu' je.
>
> charghwI' I thank you.  You I respected you also.
> (I don't understand why <SoH> was used.)

Since it is in the object position, it is repeating explicitly
the person and number indicated by the verb's prefix. In TKD,
it says that you can do that for emphasis. In this case, it
means, "I very much respect YOU, too."

> >maghoHmo' neH jaghmey maHnISbe'.
>
> We argue because only enemies ? hinder not.

"We do not need to be enemies merely because we argue." If he
wanted the {neH} to apply to {jaghmey}, it would have to FOLLOW
it. {neH} can modify either nouns or verbs. When applied to
nouns, it means, "only" as in "exclusively", like the classic
"target engines only". When applied to verbs, it means "only"
as in "merely".

> Now I get really confused.
>
> >qechwIj neH DaHIq.  jIH DaHIqbe'ba'.
>
> My idea only behaves like liquor.  I obviously nor behave like liquor.
> (I know my words are out of order, but I'm stuck.)

You are confused because he meant to use {HIv} instead of
{HIq}. His sentence as written is gibberish, while your
interpretation of it is equally strange. {Da} is a verb meaning
"behave in the manner of", but you can't combine it with a noun
so that {DaHIq} would mean "behave like liquor".

> >qechwIj vIHub.  SoH vIHIqbe'ba'.
>
> I defend my idea.  You (I'm not even going to try.)

That was supposed to be {SoH qaHIvbe'ba'}, but he blew it on
both the prefix and the spelling of the verb. It would mean, "I
obviously do not attack YOU." This is testimony to how much
knowing context can help you get through static in a message.

> >qay'be'.  ghu'vam vItIvtaH.
>
> It is not a problem.  I enjoy this situation (continuous).
>
> >ghItlh r'Hul:
> >>This is what I joined the mail list for.
> >
> >jIH je'!
>
> Me too!  (I believe that the <'> is a typo, right?)
>
>  >-- ghunchu'wI'
>
> r'Hul

charghwI'
--