tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 06 17:35:48 1995

Re: }} Subordinate clauses

gheyIl writes:
>jabbI'ID wa'maH wejDaq ja'ta' ghunchu'wI':
>> The Type 9 "Syntactic markers" verb suffixes indicate subordinate clauses
>in Klingon > (see TKD sections 4.2.9 and 6.2.2). They translate concepts like
>"when/as soon as", > "if", "before", "while", "which/that", "for/in order
>to", and "because".
>> Note that the position of the subordinate clause is arbitrary.
>
>Except for clauses using <-meH> which must precede the noun or verb to which
>they refer. (see TKD section 6.2.4)

I had missed that, thanks for pointing it out.  Not all type 9 suffixes fit
the category of "syntactic marker" anyway.  {-meH} is called a
"purpose-clause marker". {-bogh} is called a "relative-clause marker", and
doesn't really create a subordinate clause, but serves to specify or
clarify a subject or object, and thus is tied to that subject or object's
position.  {-wI'} and {-ghach} turn verbs into nouns and thus do not create
subordinate clauses either.  {-jaj} makes the main verb a "wish" and {-'a'}
makes it a question.  So we're left with {-chugh}, {-DI'}, {-mo'}, {pa'},
and {-[taH]vIS} as the suffixes which create subordinate clauses which can
either precede or follow the main clause.

 -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level