tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 03 00:37:21 1995

Re: }} KLBC

>Well, I'm still a little confused about the pets are everywhere.  I was
>told the correct use is Dat bIH Sajmey, and Dat bIH Sajmey'e'.  Which is
>correct, and if the latter is correct, why is the 'e' used.

The latter is correct.  yoDtargh, the Beginners' Grammarian, answered your
question correctly (that's his job!) and was entirely too lenient on the
yIntagh who jumped in with the wrong answer.

>I still haven't figured out the usage of 'e'.  That throws me completely.
>I never know when to use 'e'.  I see I haven't got far enough into TKD.

'e' is used in three cases.

1: to emphasize a noun.  See TKD section 3.3.5, page 29.
2: in a "to be" phrase.  See TKD section 6.3, pages 67-68.
3: to mark the "head noun" of a relative clause which has both a subject
and an object.  This usage is not found in the dictionary, but was
suggested by Captain Krankor in HolQed Volume 1 Number 3, and it has been
approved by Marc Okrand as acceptable.

{Dat bIH Sajmey'e'} is case 2.  But see TKD section 4.2.5, page 39 for the
proper usage of {tu'lu'}, which I think is more appropriate here.

 -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level