tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 02 23:55:13 1995

Re: }} KLBC {-'e'}

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Laurel Beckley wrote:

> Well, I'm still a little confused about the pets are everywhere.  I was
> told the correct use is Dat bIH Sajmey, and Dat bIH Sajmey'e'.  Which is
> correct, and if the latter is correct, why is the 'e' used.  I still
> haven't figured out the usage of 'e'.  That throws me completely.  I
> never know when to use 'e'.  I see I haven't got far enough into TKD.

According to Sec. 6.3, {Dat bIH Sajmey'e'} is correct.  In this case
{-'e'} is just part of the formula on the way Klingons say {X is a Y}.

Klingon does not have a word meaning "is" or "to be".  If a sentence has
a pronoun for the subject, and a noun as the object, and the sentence has
no verb, then the pronoun can act like a verb meaning "to be":
Sajmey bIH.  They are pets.
nuH 'oH.  It is a weapon.
verengan ghaH.  He/she is a Ferengi.

If you want to make a noun the subject of this kind of sentence, Sec.
6.3. says you always put {-'e'} on the noun.  It's just a grammar rule we
have to follow.

Sajmey bIH Ha'DIbaHmeyvetlh'e'.  Those animals are pets.
nuH 'oH Qab'e'.  Theragen is a weapon.   (Theragen is Klingon nerve gas.)
verengan ghaH chom'e'.  The bartender is a Ferengi.

{-'e'} has other uses.  When you put {-'e'} on a noun, it emphasizes it.
(Sec. 3.3.5.)

Qel vIpoQ.  I need a doctor.
Qel'e' vIpoQ.  I need a DOCTOR!
jabwI'...HIvje'wIjDaq yIH tu'lu'.  Waiter, there's a tribble in my glass.
jabwI'...HIvje'wIjDaq yIH'e' tu'lu'.  Waiter, there's a TRIBBLE in my glass!

Another use for {-'e'} is to mark the head noun of a relative clause.
This isn't in TKD, but Dr. Okrand has okayed this usage.  A relative
clause can have a subject and an object and the relative clause itself
can be the subject or object of the main verb of the sentence.  We use
{-'e'} to mark which noun of the relative clause is the subject or object
of the main verb.

{'avwI' qIppu'bogh qama' vISov}  Is an ambiguous sentence because we can't
tell whether {'avwI'} or {qama'} is the object of {vISov}, so we use
{-'e'} to mark the head noun of the relative clause, the noun which
functions as the object of the main verb, {vISov}.

'avwI''e' qIppu'bogh qama' vISov.  I know the guard whom the prisoner hit.
'avwI' qIppu'bogh qama''e' vISov.  I know the prisoner who hit the guard.

Likewise,
muSov 'avwI''e' qIppu'bogh qama'.  The guard who was hit by the prisoner
				   knows me.
muSov 'avwI' qIppu'bogh qama''e'.  The prisoner who hit the guard knows me.

Lastly, don't confuse the noun suffix {-'e'} with the pronoun {'e'} (that).
They don't have anything to do with each other.

> Laurel

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level