tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 02 13:57:13 1995

Re: }} KLBC!!!

>Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 15:01:35 +1200 (NZST)
>From: Chris Nielsen <[email protected]>

>Ahhh, I see!  I need to think about what the English is actually saying
>before translating, or this is the result!

You *always* need to think about what you're translating, or you won't get
anywhere.  If translation were just mindlessly replacing words from one
list with those from another, interpreters would be out of business.
That's one thing that can make translation worthwhile as an end in itself:
you find yourself forced to take a good hard look at what you're
translating, and maybe understand it better.

~mark

Back to archive top level