tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 01 21:18:45 1995

Re: }} KLBC

Laurel Beckley writes

> Ok, I think I've got the N-N construction figured out.  Or maybe not.
> I have another question now.  How would you say Pets are everywhere?
> Would it be Sajmey Dat?  I'm a little confused with some of these
> things, but then I'm still a beginner.  Am I getting the N-N thing
> confused again? Would pets are everywhere be N-N again?  Or would it
> be Dat Sajmey?  It wouldn't be everywhere's pet. or pet's everywhere?
> Gosh, I wonder if I'll every get this right. Dat is a noun, isn't it?
> I've been studying the TKD, but I'm not sure of all  of it.

> Ok, I just wrote a message about pets are everywhere, and realized I've
> left out the verb. How do you say are?  I'm finding a lot of trouble
> finding some English words that have no klingon counterpart.  Are is one
> of them.  How do you say "pets are everywhere"?  Sorry if I sound
> confused, but I am.  Ok, I'll stop here.

To say 'pets are everywhere': Dat bIH Sajmey (also: Dat bIH Saj)
'Pets are everywhere is *not* a N-N construction, but a full sentence
(or clause), therefore needing a verb. N-N constructions are used to denote
a possessive. Check Section 3.4 (p.30) and 6.3 (p.67), which says that if
you need to use an equivalent to 'I am' in Klingon, you would use <jIH>.

So in the above example, <bIH> is used (plural animals, and non-language
speakers).

Qapla'

qSeroHS veyn
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level