tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 01 00:04:49 1995

Re: }} yoD Hov'a'

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Elizabeth C. Hoyt wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> Ok, so that should be {pemHov yoD vIje'ta' tuj muDmo'}.

As ~mark pointed out, the last part should probably be {tujmo' muD}.

> Can anyone suggest a way for me to understand/remember the way to order
> two nouns? I've read section 3.4 over & over, but I still keep messing
> that up.

The way I think of it, is that the last noun is the main noun and
the noun which preceeds describes that noun in some way.

For example, If you buy a "sun-shield", are you buying a shield or a sun?
Since you are buying a type of shield, you put that noun last and place
"sun" before it because it is describing the shield:  pemHov yoD vIje'.

If you say "I read charghwI''s message".  The "message" is the thing being
read, so it comes last:  charghwI' jabbI'ID vIlaD.

If I want to say "The symbol of the Klingon Empire is red",
"Klingon" is describing "empire", "empire" is describing "symbol".
The main noun, the item which is actually red, is the symbol, so it
comes last.
Doq tlhIngan wo' Degh.  The symbol of the empire of the Klingon(s) is red.

> yup. What's Klingon for "type-o"?

Perhaps you could say {QaghHom}.

> > yavDujwIjDaq jan rap DaDelbogh vIlo'.  yavDuj qIj vIghaj.  wovDI'
> > pemHov, tujqu'choH yavDujwIj.
>
> (You use the same device I describe on your car. Your car is black.
> Your car gets very hot as soon as the sun shines.) Am I right?

bIlugh.

> Liz (tlheghmeQ joq)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level