tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 30 15:41:10 1995

Re: KLBC: Comparatives

'Iwvan wrote:
> Of course, here the problem is a more general one: how to express the
> extent of a comparison (`X is more A than Y by D').  Perhaps we should
> find a description of a Terran language with Klingon-style comparatives
> and see what it does.

It won't do us any good to find one, of course.  The ONLY sources of info
on thlIngan Hol which we may use are Mark Okrand and the Paramount canon.
But your generalization does suggest a possible translation to me:

{jIH qan law' SoH qan puS.  nupImmoH cha' DIS.}
"I am more old than you.  Two years cause us to be different."
Or, "I am more old than you by two years."
Or, "I am two years older than you."

{Duj Hop law' yuQ Hop puS.  chuqmeyDaj pImmoH wejSanID qelI'qam.}
"The ship is more distant than the planet.  Three thousand kellicams cause
their distances to be different."
Or, "The ship is more distant than the planet by three thousand kellicams."
Or, "The ship is three thousand kellicams farther away than the planet."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level