tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 29 11:24:32 1995

Re: pagh (was latlh)

Sat, 29 Apr 1995, ghItlh jansIy:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 1995, yoDtargh wrote:

> So, what I get from this whole discussion is:
>
> pagh no'  -  no ancestors
> no' pagh  -  none of the ancestors
> no'lI' pagh  -  none of your ancestors
> pagh no'lI'  -  your (theoretical, but non-existant) ancestors

Numbers are handled somewhat diffently than nouns.  Numbers indicate
quantity when placed before a noun.  They are used to number the object
when placed after a noun.

wa' QumwI'	one communicator
QumwI' wa'	communicator number one
wa' QumwI'wIj	my one communicator
QumwI'wIj wa'	my communicator number one
wa'		one of them

I would not use {QumwI'wIj wa'} to say "one of my communicators".  For
that I would just say {wa'}.  E.g.

cha' QumwI' vIghaj.  DaHjaj wa' vIghor.
(I have two communicators.  Today I broke one of them.)

> janSIy

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level