tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 25 02:08:43 1995

KLBC: Comparatives

jabbI'IDwIj yIlaD

I've tried to express some comparative sentences:

I am as big as you.
machHa'ghachlIj rap machHa'ghachwIj
My-un-small-ness equals your-un-small-ness.

You are not bigger than me.
SoH tIn law' jIH tIn puS 'e' temnISlu'
one-needs_to-deny

I am two years older than you.
cha' DIS jIH qan law' SoH qan puS
^^^^^^^^ is that sufficient?

Two thoughts on the 'less X than'-discussion:

You are less old than me.
QupHa'ghachlIj puS law' QupHa'ghachwIj puS puS
Your-un-young-ness is fewer than my-un-young-ness

It avoids the topic<->focus discussion but is
quite convoluted :(

>From the usual sentence structure Object precedes
Subject, wouldn't one infer that the original
meaning of A Q law' B Q puS IS indeed B is less
Q than A? That is you'd have to topicalize A to
emphasize A is more Q than B?

		Marc Doychlangan

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany