tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 24 18:28:57 1995

Re: subgenius

According to R.B Franklin:
> It seems we have a way to say "X is more something than Y", but we don't
> have a way to say "X is less something than Y".
>
> I wonder if it would work if you put {-'e'} on second half of the
> sentence to indicate a "less than" comparison.
>
> E.g.  la' jaq law' yaS jaq puS.  The commander is bolder than the officer.
> la' jaq law' yaS'e' jaq puS.  The officer is less bold than the commander.
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> yoDtargh

Dajqu'. I'm not sure I'd endorse it wholeheartedly until Okrand
rules on it, but it sure makes good sense. After all, the only
REAL difference between the greater and lesser comparisons is
which of the compared nouns is emphasized, right? Usually, the
greater is emphasized because of the word order.

I like this a lot. I'm interested as to what ~mark and Krankor
think. Krankor, you still out there? Haven't heard from you in
a while.

charghwI'
--

 \___