tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 22 12:37:29 1995

Re: Adverbial Concepts

On Fri, 21 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> What you say about the placement of adverbials at the beginning of a sent=
> ence
> is true?  I had invoked a passage of TKD, p179, =A76.7 regarding placemen=
> t of
> an adverbial after an Object Noun.  Unfortunately, I still made a mistake=
>  by
> not looking back at the reference at the time I used it.
>
> I should have said:  pong'e' tlhIngan DaH vISuq
>
> because the Object Noun needs to be specified with -'e'.  Thanks for
> awakening me.

It it true that an adverbial may come after an object noun, when it is
topicalized with the suffix {-'e'}.  Topicalizing the noun is not
mandatory, it is used when you want to single out a word for emphasis
(Sec. 3.3.5.).  For example:
mughwI' yISam qaja'be'ta'.  I did not tell you to find a translator.
maghwI''e' yISam qaja'ta'.  I told you to find the TRAITOR.

Also, when using a noun-noun construction, TKD, Sec. 3.4 says you can't
place a Type 5 syntactic marker (like {-'e'}) after the first noun.

Putting an object using {-'e'} before the adverbial is an unusual exception.
Adverbials (except for {neH} and {jay'}) usually come before the object
(Sec. 5.4. & 6.7.)

Your sentence literally says, "Now I acquire a Klingon of a NAME."
Here, you would reverse the words and say {tlhIngan pong} (a name of a
Klingon) or (a Klingon's name) or simply "a Klingon name".

Using {-'e'} in this instance probably isn't necessary.  If you
aren't using {-'e'}, then the adverbial would come before the object
and you would simply say:

DaH tlhIngan pong vISuq. (Now I acquire a Klingon name.)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level