tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 19 10:52:08 1995

Re: subgenius

According to Silauren, Half-Elven:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> > From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
> > >According to Silauren, Half-Elven:
>
> > One point to bear in mind here is that "subgenius" in the sense originally
> > taken for the Church of that name, I think, used "genius" in its original
> > sense, as a guardian spirit.  Or did it?
>
> the way it has been explained to me is that the Church of the Subgenius
> (or whatever the official name is) refers to the 98% of humanity with an
> IQ lower than X (whatever X is).  if you could use verb suffixes on
> nouns, i'd probably use <***wIghHa'***> or some such, but that's
> obviously out of the question.

jIvwI'? QIpqI'?

> --naQ'avwI'
>
> *&* nuqneH. *Inigo Montoya* 'oH ponglIj'e'.  vavlI' DaHoHta'.
> *&*    yIHegh'eghrup.
> *&*		-- from the Princess Bride

I love this quote, though I doubt that the {-'egh} belongs
there. {Hegh} is intransitive and makes no sense in the
reflexive. "Prepare yourself to die," is not the same thing as
"Prepare to die yourself." You mean the former, but the Klingon
sentence means the latter.

charghwI'
--

 \___