tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 18 12:15:08 1995

Re: While kinda KLBC ...

On Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:05:21 -0400, "William H. Martin" <[email protected]> said:
> According to [email protected]:
>> (1) a. _bIrop 'e' vIlaD._
>> b. `I read (a report saying) that you were ill.'
>> (2) a. _<<jIrop>> bIghItlh 'e' vIlaD._

Shouldn't that be {DaghItlh} too?

>> b. ?`I read (a report saying) that you wrote that you were ill.'

[...]

>> (3) _<<jIrop>> bIghItlhbogh vIlaD._
>> `I read the "I am ill" that you wrote.'

> Make that {DaghItlhbogh}...

Yes.  (reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.)

> You are treating the quoted word as the object of {vIlaD}.
> This is essentially the way Klingon handles verbs of speech,
> but I'm not sure that {laD} qualifies for this treatment.

I see.  It does seem unlikely for it to be able to take either
a {'e'}-clause or a direct quotation as its object.

> I'm also not sure that we can point two different verbs at the same
> quotation like this.

If it can be the object of both, then {<<jIrop>> DaghItlhbogh vIlaD}
ought to work in the same way as {puq DaqIpbogh vIlegh}.

> For that matter, we may be pushing the use of {ghItlh} as a
> verb of speech. Okrand explained in an interview in HolQeD that
> {ghItlh} refers to the act of making marks on a page, not to
> the act of composition.

To my mind that only increases its similarity to {ja'}, {jatlh} and
the others, which refer to making speech sounds.  That is, I think
that this interpretation of {ghItlh} makes it all the more compatible
with direct quotation, which is concerned with the words uttered (or
possibly written).

--'Iwvan

--
`"Haud oan there a meenit," says the king tae Joseph, "I've been thinkin."'
Ivan A Derzhanski ([email protected])    (J Stuart, _Auld Testament Tales_)

Back to archive top level