tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 17 11:01:25 1995

KBTP: "Tetragrammaton"

chay' *'aDo'nay per mugh KBTP?

I'm curious.  I know that the Klingon Bible Translation Project is working
from the original Hebrew/Aramaic of the Pentateuch. (*)  There are many
"names" used when the text refers to the Almighty, and I'd like to know
how the Project is translating them.  I expect that most persons' names
would be phonetically transliterated, like {*mIryam} or {*'avra'am}, with
complications for the non-Klingon sounds in {*yoSe[F]} or {*e[z]ra']}.
What I'm really curious about, though, is the Tetragrammaton. (*)

Is it being translated "phonetically" as {*'aDo'nay} or something close?
Is it being (mis)translated phonetically as approximately "Jehovah"?
Is it being "copied" letter-for-letter as {*yHvH}?  (I'd prefer this.)
Is something else being done?

-- ghunchu'wI'

(*)  For the non-Bible-scholars here -
     The Pentateuch is the first five books of the Hebrew Bible, the five
     books of Moses:  Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
     The Tetragrammaton is the four Hebrew letters yod-hey-vav-hey, which
     is pronounced "Adonai" in TOTAL disregard for the spelling, used often
     when referring to the Lord.
     Disclaimer:  I'm not a Bible scholar either.

Back to archive top level