tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 12:18:10 1995

Re: copyrights

qaghItlhneS:

: I would love to see what a copyright lawyer has to say about this.  My
: understanding is that languages cannot be copyrighted.  This (if true)
: would mean that anyone could publish a tlhIngan Hol dictionary or works
: describing tlhIngan Hol grammar.  As Alan mentioned "...only the
: formatting...is protected by copyright."   Thus, you could publish a list
: of words with their translations if you created the list yourself.
:
: If I were planning on publish such a work "for profit" I would certainly
: seek legal advice first.
:
: Qeygh

This continues to be a re-occuring question.  I think we would ALL love to be
able to legally distribute translation lists and such.  The trouble is that
we're too scared of Paramount to put any of the legal-eze to the test.  None
of us can afford a trial with the deep-pocketed Paramount.  Even if we won,
we'd lose...

I think we have a good, first step with Paramount recognizing the KLI.  It
adds to our position, but where to go, I think, is up to Lawrence.  We need
to know what we can do with our "licensing" and then DO it.

I don't think I have ever heard a straight answer about this from Lawrence or
our lawyers or Paramount or anyone else.  How many angels can fit on the head
of a pin?

-majIq

Back to archive top level